The Ship by Order Total shipping method calculates fees based on the total cost of the "shippable" products in the cart. The system compares this total to the dollar ranges you've set up on your shipping table and charges the corresponding fee.
If the order sub-total does not fall within one of the ranges you've defined, the system will charge the default shipping fee. In most cases, you will create more than one ship by order total option to give your customers a choice of price and delivery type (e.g. Standard, Priority, Overnight, International, etc.)
Any Shipping Option that is free (costs $0) will not be displayed upon checkout. This will prevent your customers from placing their order if shipping is required. To offer free shipping, you will need to use Shipping Discounts.
- Go to E-Commerce > E-Commerce Setup
- Go to the Shipping Options section and click on Shipping Options
- Click on the Shipping Methods tab.
- Click on the Add a Method button
- Click on Ship by Order Total
- Enter the Shipping Method Settings
- Display Name and Description: Your customers will see this information during checkout (e.g. USPS Standard Shipping / Standard Postal Service 3-5 Business Days.)
- Enable this Shipping Method: New shipping methods are enabled by default, which means they show up for customers. Uncheck this checkbox to hide the shipping option.
- International Shipping Method: Mark this checkbox to offer this shipping method to international customers, those outside your default country (Setup > Shopping Cart > Checkout section > Other Settings link.)
- Enter the Ship By Order Total Settings
- Default Price: The default price is charged when the total cost of an order does not fall within the defined order total ranges. It is a safety net that prevents a zero dollar shipping charge.
- Order Total Ranges: Create your shipping rate table.
- Enter a price range (e.g. $0 up to $20.00, $20.00 to $50.00). Note: The lower value in the range is included. The top number in the range is not. It becomes the lower value in the next range.
- Enter the price for that range (e.g. $3.00)
- Click on the Add Ranges link to repeat the process for additional weight ranges.
- Click Save
- Repeat the process to create additional Ship By Order Total options (i.e. Standard, Priority, Overnight, International, etc.)