When a payment fails, the Max Retries setting will attempt to process the payment based on the number entered in its field. Once the order has attempted the number of Max Retries, there will be no further attempts unless it is reset. By default the Max Retries is set to three.
Don't Autocharge Outstanding Invoices Settings
The Don't Autocharge Invoices That Have Been Outstanding For More Than field will set a limit for autocharge attempts. The system will no longer try to charge the card after this limit is reached. The default is 12 months. You can reduce this to 9,6, 3, or 1 month.
Modify Max Retries and Autocharge Outstanding Invoices Settings
- Navigate to E-Commerce Settings
- From the left navigation, select Orders
- Under the Billing section, locate and update if necessary:
- The Default Max Retries field which is the number of times an unpaid order will attempt to bill
- The Don't autocharge invoice that have been outstanding for more than field which is the amount of time an order can be autocharged after the payment method has been updated
The number chosen for the Default Max Retries includes the initial payment failure.
An example would be if the Default Max Retries is set to 3, this would allow for the payment to fail a total of three times
Reset Max Retries
Navigate to the order which you would like to reset and click the Reset Failed Attempts button.
In order for the button to be available, the following conditions must be met:
- The Reset failed autocharge attempt setting must be enabled under E-Commerce > Settings > left menu click Orders > scroll down under Billing
- The maximum amount of attempts must be reached