As you collect engaged customers as contacts, so do you collect contacts that become unengaged with your business. If you haven’t cleaned your email list in a long time (more than 6 months), you can apply the process below as well as Tag contacts unengaged 6-12 months for a re-engagement campaign. To avoid both processes, we recommend regular recurring efforts around List Hygiene, which is critical to your email marketing success.
- Navigate to Marketing and click Reports.
- Click on Email Status Search to open the report.
If your app brings you to a list of search results, click the New Search button.
- In the Email Status drop-down, select the first four options (hold the Shift key down to select multiple options).
- In the Last Engagement Date drop-down, select More than 12 Months.
- Next, we will exclude new leads from our search. Click the Misc Criteria tab.
- In this example, we will use a date range starting with the earliest date of our company going up to 4 months ago, so that any new leads captured within the past 4 months will not be included in our data.
- In the Date Created fields, select today’s date and change the year to 2009.
- In the second date window, select a date 4 months in the past from today.
- Click Search at the bottom of the page to view the results.
- Next, remove these contacts from your marketing. Check the Select All checkbox at the top of the list.
- Click the Actions drop-down and select Update Opt-In/Out Status.
- Make sure in the Email Fields to Update that Primary Email is selected and change Opt In or Out? to Opt-Out.
- Enter a reason for Opt Update and click Process Action.
You have now successfully removed the unengaged contacts from your future email marketing.